Friday, October 5, 2007

Conversations with video games

I was recently on the phone competing with a video game. You ask, "what is she talking about"? Well, I was on the phone, talking with this man that I care for, and I am racking my brain to be natural and witty, when I hear "kaboom", "whizzzz", "kabassh", and "wickeee wizzle". I dawns on me that I am competing for his attention while he plays his video game. He would be perfectly content to sit with one ear to the phone while his mind, heart, and soul are centered on being a super hero. I don't know quite how to take this. Is it supposed to be flattering that he continues to pretend to listen to me prattle on, with occasional responses of "uh huh", "I don't know", and "that's interesting". He doesn't hear anything I say. Then, when I sigh and tell him that I am going to get off the phone by my usual " Welllllllll, I guess I should", he tries to perk up and say something that continues the conversation.



Personally, I would rather he tell me he would rather play his game than talk. To me it feels like he is just appeasing me, so that I can feel like I have some of his attention. I don't know what his response would be if I asked him. He would probably say, "If I didn't want to talk to you, I would not have answered the phone." But, is a one sided conversation actually talking? Do men actually enjoy this odd form of game induced communication/coma. Can it be called communication- is it like the early caveman or the ape in grunt form? Is it an odd sort of mating call or is it placation, as one straddles the fence of youth and being a full adult?

Don't get me wrong, I want him to enjoy his games. I want him to have a hobby, something that gives him enjoyment in his down time, but I am perplexed as to what to feel. Is it a form of flattery towards me because he wants to feel that I am near or for him because I am dumb enough to hang on instead of hanging up? Maybe, I make too much of it and it means nothing at all.

No comments: